- 2 red peppers, roughly chopped
- 1 brinjal, roughly chopped
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T canola oil
- 700 g rump steak
- 10 g Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 pita breads, toasted
- hummus, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Toss the red peppers and brinjal with the olive oil, then place on a tray and roast for 30–35 minutes, or until caramelised and tender.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large pan over a high heat, then add the canola oil. Once the oil starts smoking, add the steak and cook for 3 minutes on each side, or until slightly caramelised. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
3. Toss the roast vegetables with the parsley and season to taste.
4. Assemble the pitas by stuffing them with hummus, sliced steak and roast vegetables.
Cook's note: Keep a stash of pita breads in the freezer so you always have them on hand.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Food assistants: Bianca Strydom and Keletso Motau