Making your own cashew nut cream is easier than you think. Serve it up with this carpaccio-style steak and green beans for a wholesome midweek meal.
- 100 g roasted cashews
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock, heated
- 600 g Woolworths Angus rump steak
- 4 T olive oil
- 1 cube each Woolworths prepared garlic, chilli and ginger, cube of each
- sea salt, to taste
- 200 g fine green beans, blanched
1. Soak the cashew nuts in the hot stock for 2 hours while the meat is freezing.
2. Pat dry the steak using kitchen paper. Remove any fat and discard. Mix the olive oil, ginger, chilli and garlic and rub the steak well with the mixture. Season with salt.
3. Heat a little olive oil in a large pan until very hot. Sear the steak on both sides until just golden, about 2 minutes a side.
4. Remove from the pan and immediately wrap tightly in clingwrap. Freeze for
2 hours while the cashew nuts soak.
5. Strain the cashew nuts, reserving the stock. Blend the cashews with a little of the stock until smooth and creamy.
6. Remove the clingwrap from the steak and slice as thinly as possible using a very sharp knife. Fry any garlic, chilli and ginger that falls off the steak until crispy.
7. To serve, arrange the steak on a platter, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle over the crispy garlic, chilli and ginger and season. Serve with the beans and cashew cream.
Photographs: Robbert Koene
Production: Hannah Lewry
Food Assistant: Claire-Ellen Van Rooyen