- 360 g flour
- 1 x 10 g sachet dry yeast
- salt, a pinch
- sugar a pinch
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1 large free-range egg
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 500 g baby spinach, chopped
1. Mix all the dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients and spinach to form a dough.
2. You can knead the dough with your hands, but I prefer to use an electric mixer.
3. When all the ingredients are thoroughly combined, transfer the dough onto a dry surface and knead it into a small ball. The dough will be sticky.
4. Place the dough in a large, greased bowl and cover with clingwrap. Allow to stand in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes, or until it has tripled in volume.
5. Oil a medium-sized metal bowl.
6. Boil 1 litre water in a large saucepan. Knock down the dough and place it in the metal bowl over the saucepan.
7. Cover with the lid and cook over low heat for 1 hour, or until a knife comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the bread.
8. Serve with any protein of your choice – I love it with oxtail.
Extracted from Kitchen Queen by Lucia Mthiyane, published Human & Rousseau.