- For the blueberry-and-soya basting sauce:
- 1 x 360 g punnet Woolworths Flavourburst blueberries
- 2⁄3 cup soya sauce
- 2 star anise
- 2 T Muscovado sugar
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 x 5 cm piece fresh ginger , peeled and sliced
- 1 kg good-quality pork ribs
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. To make the basting sauce, place the blueberries, soya sauce, star anise and sugar in a saucepan and reduce until syrupy, about 15–20 minutes. Add the lime juice, garlic and ginger for the last 5 minutes of cooking time, then allow to cool slightly.
2. Place the ribs in a deep baking tray, pour over the basting sauce, then cover well with foil. Roast for 2 hours, then remove the foil and strain any pan juices into a small saucepan. Reduce the liquid by half to make a glaze. Brush onto the ribs, then return to the oven and grill until sticky, about 5–10 minutes.
Photographs: Myburgh Du Plessis
Food assistant: Claire-ellen Van Rooyen