- 400 g Woolworths free-range mini chicken breast fillets
- 1 x 160 ml Woolworths Asian Chinese BBQ glaze jar
- 200 g brown rice
- 4 T olive or peanut oil
- 200 g Woolworths baby leeks, sliced
- 1 broccoli head, cut into florets and stalks sliced
- 1 Woolworths prepared garlic, ginger and chilli punnet
- 4 large free-range eggs
- Woolworths chilli oil, for frying
- lime or lemon juice, for serving
1. Marinate the chicken in the BBQ glaze while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
2. Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook the rice for 25–30 minutes, drain, then return it to the warm pan. Cover and let the residual heat steam the rice.
3. Heat 1 T oil in a large wok and gently fry the leeks, remove from the pan and set aside.
4. Add the broccoli stems to the wok with ½ cube each ginger, garlic and chilli and 1 T oil. Increase the heat and, once the broccoli starts to colour slightly, remove from the pan. Do the same with the remaining florets.
5. Shake any excess marinade o the chicken and fry in batches in the remaining oil in the wok for 3–4 minutes on each side until just charred and cooked through. Set aside and add any remaining marinade to the wok with the rice. Shake the pan while stirring to make sure you coat all of the rice in the glaze.
6. Fry the egg in the chilli oil and serve on the chicken and rice. Squeeze over lime or lemon juice just before serving.
Cook’s note: If you really want to save time, keep a sachet of Woolworths Heat & Eat savoury brown rice in your pantry.
The bite and nuttiness of brown rice is something I have come to crave! Don’t get me wrong, fluffy, soft jasmine is simply moreish but brown rice is my first choice every time. It really adds body to a dish, and is even better slathered in hot butter or glistening with fragrant chilli oil.
Photograph: Sadiqah Assur-Ismail
Food assistants: Claire Gooderson & Emma Nkunzana