- 1 x 5 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 x 8-portion pack free-range chicken portions (thighs and drumsticks)
- 2 T olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 200 g Woolworths wholewheat noodles, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 t sesame oil
- 2 T soya sauce
- 140 g mangetout, cut into matchsticks
- 120 g sugar snap peas, halved lengthways
- 1 T sesame seeds, toasted
- Microgreens, to garnish
Shave the ginger into thin ribbons using a vegetable peeler and soak in boiled water for 10 minutes.
Rub the chicken portions with a little olive oil, season and place in a heavy-based pan over a very high heat and top with the soaked ginger shavings. Cover with a lid to steam fry. Don’t disturb the chicken – this gives it a chance to brown and caramelise. After 10–15 minutes, turn over the chicken pieces and cook until cooked through.
Serve the chicken with the hot noodles tossed with the sesame oil and soya sauce, topped with the mangetout and sugar snap peas. Garnish with the sesame seeds and microherbs.
Cook's note: The beauty of this dish is that you are steam- frying your chicken – keeping the lid on the pan while cooking retains the moisture and the high heat helps to caramelise the meat. Keep the faith people, the chicken won’t burn! P.S. Use the ginger-soaking water to make ginger tea.