This stiff pap is a great accompaniment to stews and braai meat.
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups maize meal
- 2 T butter
1. In a large saucepan, bring 3 cups water to a rapid boil. Add half the maize meal and cover. Reduce the heat to medium-low and leave the pap for 8 to 10 minutes. Resist the urge to stir.
2. Remove the lid, then stir vigorously for 1 minute to incorporate any remaining maize meal into the water.
3. Repeatedly mash the pap against the side of the saucepan for approximately 2 minutes to get rid of any lumps.
4. Gradually add the remaining maize meal, stir vigorously and mash again. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting, replace the lid and let the pap steam for 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Remove the lid and stir. If the pap is a bit too dry, add a little more water and stir again. Add 1 to 2 T butter and stir.
6. Serve warm with one of these wholesome stews.