This dough is really easy to work with; you can use it immediately after rising or place it in the fridge and remove an hour before frying. You can also fill the doughnuts with the custard if you like.
- For the strawberry sauce:
- 250 g strawberries, hulled and halved
- 2 T sugar
- lemon, juiced
- 500 g flour
- ½ t fine salt
- 25 g caster sugar
- 5 large free-range eggs
- 2 T canola oil
- 1 t instant yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- 150 g soft butter, cubed
- 1 litre canola oil, for frying
- Woolworths vanilla bean custard, for serving
1. To make the strawberry sauce, place all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil while stirring. Reduce the heat and simmer until slightly thickened. Set aside to cool.
2. Place the flour, salt, sugar, eggs and oil in the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and add to the bowl. Knead at a low speed until the dough comes together.
3. Gradually add the butter until all of it has been incorporated. Knead for a few minutes until sticky, glossy and almost smooth. Wet your hand and scoop the dough into a large piping bag. If you want to use the dough as soon as possible, place it in a warm place in the kitchen and allow to prove for 1 hour until doubled in size.
4. Heat the oil to 190°C in a large saucepan. Line a tray with kitchen paper. Cut the tip off the piping bag so you have a hole around the size of a R2 coin. Slightly grease one of your hands with canola oil and hold the piping bag in the other. Squeeze until the dough comes out and break it off at the end of the bag using your greased hand and gently place in the oil. Repeat until you have about 6 doughnuts in the oil. Fry until they float to the surface and are golden brown, about 3–4 minutes. Test one by pulling it apart to see if it is cooked all the way through. Repeat the process with the remaining dough. While one batch is frying, toss the cooked doughnuts in the caster sugar until evenly coated.
5. Swirl the strawberry sauce through the custard and serve with the doughnuts.
Photograph: Sadiqah Assur-Ismail
Production: Hannah Lewry and Claire-Ellen van Rooyen
Food assistant: Claire-Ellen van Rooyen