- For the vanilla base:
- 9 free-range egg yolks
- 200 g sugar
- 1 T vanilla paste
- 4 cups cream
- 1 cup milk
- For the ice cream:
- 400 g strawberries, roughly chopped
- nectarines, chopped, for serving (optional)
To make the vanilla ice-cream base:
1. Beat the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla extract using an electric mixer until pale. This aerates the eggs and makes for a lighter, fluffier ice cream.
2. Combine the egg-yolk mixture with the cream and milk, then pour into a saucepan. Cook over a low to medium heat until thickened. Alternatively, cook in a doubleboiler.
3. Allow the mixture to cool, then churn in an ice-cream machine until ready to serve. Makes 2 litres
To make the strawberry ice cream
1. Make the ice-cream base. Once the ice cream is almost finished churning, add the strawberries and churn for a further minute.
2. Freeze for 4 hours or until firm and ready to serve. Serve with nectarines.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Food assistants: Bianca Strydom and Keletso Motau