- 250 g self-raising flour
- 4 T white sugar
- 1 t salt
- 2 T fresh basil, finely chopped
- 120 g Cheddar, grated (optional)
- 1 free-range egg
- 1 cup full-cream milk
- 1 T olive oil (or the oil from the sundried tomatoe
- 3 T sundried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 cup canned creamed sweetcorn
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Sift the flour, sugar and salt into a bowl and mix.
2. Add the basil and cheese if using and mix until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and oil.
4. Add to the dry ingredients with the sundried tomatoes and sweetcorn, then gently stir until well combined.
5. Grease a 25 cm loaf tin and line with baking paper. Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 50–60 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
6. Cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin. Serve hot or store in airtight container.
Cook’s note: To make this recipe vegan, replace the cheese with Woolworths’ vegan cheese. Replace the egg with 1 T apple cider vinegar mixed with 1 cup plant-based milk. Set aside for 10 minutes to create an almost egg-like texture before whisking in the oil.
Photograph: Sadiqah Assur-Ismail
Production: Hannah Lewry
Food assistants: Kate Ferreira and Emma Nkunzana