- 1 T butter
- 300 g leeks, washed and roughly chopped
- sea salt, to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 free-range eggs
- 150 g Gruyère or Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cream
- 30 g chives finely chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 1 T olive oil
- 250 g streaky bacon, roughly chopped
Heat the butter in a pan over a medium heat. Add the leeks and salt. Cook for 5 minutes until the leeks are soft, then add the garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer to a mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, cheese and cream. Pour into the leek mixture and add the chives. Season with salt.
Pour the mixture into 6 small baking tins or a large 1.5 litre baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the egg has cooked and the centre is slightly wobbly.
Heat the olive oil in a pan over a medium heat and fry the bacon. Scatter the bacon over the tarts and garnish with chives.