- 1 kg sweet potatoes, cleaned and sliced
- 1.5 litres vegetable or chicken stock
- 4 baby carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 fresh chilli, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 x 5 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- ½ x 400 ml can coconut milk
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Crusty fresh baguette, for serving ripe
- Camembert cheese, for serving
Place a large saucepan over a medium to high heat. Add the potato and stock and bring to a simmer.
Cook until tender. In a separate pan over a medium to low heat, gently fry the carrot and onion in the olive oil until softened.
Add the chilli, garlic and ginger and fry for another 5 minutes, then spoon the mixture into the sweetpotato saucepan. Blend with a hand blender until smooth.
Return to a clean saucepan and slowly reheat, adding the coconut milk and stirring until combined.
Season to taste and serve with chunks of crusty bread and oozing Camembert on the side.
Cook’s note: For a fragrant finish, top the soup with chopped fresh coriander and salted roast cashew nuts.
Pre-portion this nutritious tasty soup and freeze in Ziploc bags or plastic containers for a quick and convenient lunch. For best results, only add the coriander after thawing to prevent the herb from discolouring.