- 500 g bulgur wheat
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T red wine vinegar
- 4 T fresh lime juice
- 1 medium-sized red onion, chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 24 black olives, smashed
- a handful of Italian parsley, chopped
- a handful of mint, chopped
- 2 plums, quartered, or 120g currants
- 150 g feta
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- salad leaves, to serve
Combine the bulgur wheat and water in a medium-sized mixing bowl and leave to soak for 15 minutes, until the water has been absorbed.
Add the remaining ingredients except the plums or currants and feta. Chill for 2 hours to allow the flavours to develop.
Add the plums and feta just before serving. Season and toss in the salad leaves.
Cook’s note: Bulgur wheat is cracked wheat with a lovely nutty flavour and soft texture, which need only be soaked and not cooked.
A fresh take on a traditional Middle Eastern salad.