- 4 free-range eggs
- 2 T olive oil
- ½ t baking powder
- ¼ t salt
- finely ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup tahini
- 3 T water
- For the filling:
- 3 T thick mayonnaise
- 8 slices cheese (Emmenthal, Cheddar or slim fingers of halloumi)
- 8 ham, thin slices (optional)
1. To make the pancakes, whisk all the ingredients together. If the mixture seems too thick, thin down with water.
2. Spread large spoonfuls on a 20 cm non-stick pan. Cook for a few minutes on each side until pale golden, then cook the other side.
3. Spread each pancake thinly with mayonnaise. Place cheese on one half and cover with ham. Fold over to cover the filling.
4. Spread one side thinly with more mayonnaise. Place mayo-side down in a non-stick pan, then spread the exposed side with mayo. Fry until golden.
Cook's note: This is my new favourite. The pancakes are made with tahini and eggs – no flour!
Photograph: Toby Murphy
Production: Brita Du Plessis
Food Assistant: Kate Ferreira