- For the pickling liquid, mix:
- 1 x 250 ml Woolworths sweet-and-sour pickling condiment bottle
- 3 T tamarind paste
- 2 limes, juice
- ½ red chilli, crushed
- 1 t Woolworths galangal powder
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x 2 cm ginger cm piece, peeled and crushed
- 2 T sesame oil
- 1 baby radishes bunch
- 1 x 350 g baby cucumbers punnet, peeled
Add the vegetables to the pickling liquid and allow to steep for 15 minutes before serving.
Cook's tip: Having a jar of pickles in the fridge can jazz up anything by adding flavour and texture. Fresh pickle with fish, red onion pickle with curries and pork, mixed pickle with roast chicken. Or toss the pickle through salad.
Photograph: Myburgh Du Plessis
Food assistants: Bianca Strydom, Keletso Motau & Mogau Seshoene