- 1 ripe Mediterranean tomato
- 1 T sesame seeds
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- sea-salt flakes, for seasoning
- 10 ml non-pareille capers
- fresh basil, for serving
- crusty bread, for serving
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
Slice the tomato into quarters then dip each quarter into the sesame seeds.
Place on a baking tray and bake until the tomato starts to soften.
Remove and serve in a small bowl topped with a drizzle of oil, sea-salt flakes and capers.
Serve with fresh basil and warm crusty bread.
Although they are grown throughout the Mediterranean as well as parts of Africa and Asia, the finest capers are said to be the tiny non-pareille (meaning 'without peer') that come from southern France.