- sunflower oil, for deep-frying
- 1-1 1/2 cups iced water
- 250 g Woolworths tempura flour
- 4 persimmons, sliced into thick rings
- For the lemongrass syrup:
- 200 g sugar
- 1 stalk lemongrass, thinly sliced
Heat the oil in a deep saucepan. Pour the water into the tempura flour, mixing, until it forms a thick, pancake-like batter.
Dip the persimmon slices into the batter and coat well, then gently place into the oil and fry until golden and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper.
To make the lemongrass syrup, heat the sugar in a saucepan over a medium heat. Once it begins to melt, add the lemongrass. Mix and drizzle over the persimmon.
Cook’s note: Use apples or pears instead of persimmon.