- 500 ml good-quality chicken stock
- 2 t fish sauce
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 2 lemongrass stalks
- 4 lime leaves
- 1 x 3 cm ginger piece, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 kg fresh West Coast mussels
- Salt, to taste
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 spring onion, sliced and placed in iced water to curl ¦
- 1 T coriander, to garnish
Place the chicken stock, fish sauce, spring onion, lemongrass, lime leaves, ginger, garlic and shallots in a potjie or flat-bottomed cast-iron pan over medium coals.
Cover and bring to a simmer.
Add the mussels and steam for 5 minutes, until they have opened. Discard any mussels that do not open.
Spoon the mussels and broth into a serving bowl, season with salt and a squeeze of lime juice and garnish with spring onion curls and coriander.
Cook’s note: Make this dish on the stove just as you would over the coals.