- 2 x 700 g loaves white bread, quartered
- 1 x 410g can Woolworths tomato-and-onion braai relish
- 2 T Peppadews sliced
- 1 x 200 g punnet Woolworths Rosa tomatoes
- 2 sweet red peppers
- 3 T Woolworths jalapeño atchar
- 3 T Woolworths mango atchar
- 3 Woolworths medium everyday potatoes, unpeeled
- oil, for deep-frying
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 smoked Russian sausages (or sausage of your choice)
- 2 x 150 g packet Woolworths sliced mature Cheddar cheese
- 2 T butter
- 25 g Woolworths microgreens
1. Remove the inside of the bread and toast the bread (the soft inner part and the crust) in the oven at 180°C for 5–10 minutes.
2. Simmer the braai relish, Peppadews and tomatoes in a pan over a medium heat for 10–15 minutes, or until thickened. Add the peppers towards the end of the cooking time with 3-4 minutes to go in the cooking process.
3. Mix the atchars and set aside.
4. Slice the potatoes into fingers (the thicker, the better) and heat the oil to 180°C. Deep-fry the potatoes until golden, then drain on kitchen paper and toss in salt and pepper.
5. Roast the sausages in the oven until the skin is crispy. Slice each one lengthways after roasting.
6. To assemble the kota, start with one sheet cheese on the bottom of each loaf. Follow with a layer of hot chips, top with the sausage, sauce, more cheese and finally the atchar. Add a small handful of microgreens. Use the bread that you cut out to make a “lid” on the kota just before serving.
Videography: Xolisani Khumalo
Editing: Barry de Villiers
Still photograph: Jan Ras
Production: Bianca Strydom