- For the marinade:
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup soya sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 T rice vinegar
- 2 T red chilli, finely minced
- 1½ t BBQ spice
- ½ t black pepper
- 1 t fresh ginger, grated
- For the chickpea-and-bean salad, combine:
- 1 x 400 g can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 250 g couscous, cooked
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 small yellow pepper, diced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- For the dressing, combine:
- 4 T olive oil
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 t garlic, chopped
- 1 t Dijon mustard
- 2 t honey
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1.5kg pork belly
Mix all the ingredients for the marinade and place in large Ziploc bag. Place the pork belly in the bag and marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the pork belly on a roasting rack (reserve the marinade) and roast for 2 hours. Insert a fork into the meat to check whether it’s done – it should pierce it easily.
While the meat is cooing, simmer the marinade in a small saucepan over a low heat until it thickens.
Brush the marinade onto the meat every 20 minutes during the last hour of roasting time. Once done, remove from the oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before slicing to serve.
Serve with the salad, drizzled with the dressing.
Cook’s note: Make sure you buy a piece of pork belly that is uniform in thickness so that it cooks evenly.