- 16 slices farm bread (white or wholewheat)
- melted butter, for brushing
- 200 g 12-month aged Gruyère Cheese or Klein River Gruberg, grated
- 200 g Cheddar, grated
- 200 g mozzarella, grated
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced in half rounds
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- rocket, for serving
Brush melted butter on one side of each slice of bread. The butter must be on the outside of the broodjie.
Layer the cheese mix on the unbuttered sides of the bread with the red onion and some tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with the remaining bread, making sure all sides are buttered on the outside.
Arrange the broodjies on a deep braai grid. Braai over medium low coals until toasty brown and the cheese has melted. Serve with rocket.