- For the lady fingers:
- 4 free-range egg whites
- 115 g caster sugar
- 3 free-range egg yolks
- 120 g flour, sifted
- 100 g flaked almonds
- 3 T icing sugar 3 T
- 4 shots espresso
- ½ cup brandy, plus 2 T
- ½ cup sherry, plus 2 T
- 2 free-range eggs, separated
- 75 g icing sugar
- 500 g mascarpone
- 1 cup cream
- 70 g dark chocolate
- 25 g cocoa, for sprinkling
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C. To make the lady fingers, whisk the egg whites with half the caster sugar until stiff peaks form, then whisk the egg yolks with the remaining caster sugar until fluffy and pale.
2. Fold the flour into the egg yolk mixture, then fold into the egg whites. Place the batter in a piping bag and pipe onto a lined baking tray. Bake for 10–15 minutes, or until slightly golden around the edges.
3. Meanwhile, dust the almonds with 3 T icing sugar and place on a baking tray. Bake for 20 minutes or until caramelised. Combine the espresso, brandy and sherry.
4. Combine the egg yolks with the remaining icing sugar and mascarpone. Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then fold into the mascarpone mixture.
5. Heat the cream in a small saucepan, then pour over the dark chocolate and combine to make a ganache.
6. Lay the lady fingers out on a serving platter and drizzle with the coffee syrup. Spoon the mascarpone mixture over the lady fingers, top with ganache and chill for 1 hour.
7. Sprinkle with the caramelised almonds and cocoa to serve.
Cook's Note: The tiramisu layers don't have to be perfect, keep them quite rustic.