- 2 x 170 g cans light meat tuna chunks
- 3 T thick mayonnaise, plus extra for spreading
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 - 2 T Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 T onion, finely chopped
- 1 T celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed (optional)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 slices white or brown farm-style loaf
- Watercress, for serving
- Crisps, for serving
Drain the tuna well, then transfer to a bowl. Separate into large flakes using a fork and mix well with the remaining ingredients except the bread, cress and crisps. Chill until ready to use.
Sandwich 3–4 T of the mixture between 2 slices of bread.
Spread the outside of the sandwich with a thin layer of mayonnaise and slowly brown in a nonstick pan, covering the bread with a square of baking paper, and weighing it down in the pan.
Serve with cress and crisps.
Cook's note: Pan-fry these sandwiches for extra decadence (after spreading them with mayo rather than butter). Or, you could lose the bread and heap the tuna mayo onto hot baked potatoes instead.