- 3 x 400 g cans butter beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2–3 T olive oil
- 2 garlic large cloves, crushed
- 2 x 400 g Italian chopped tomatoes cans
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 200 g feta
- Italian parsley, chopped, to garnish
- Ciabatta, for serving
Drain and rinse the beans. Gently soften the onion, celery and carrot in the olive oil. Stir in the garlic. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 5–10 minutes.
Add the beans, stock and a little seasoning. Simmer, almost covered, for 30 minutes.
Use a stick blender to roughly blend the soup. Crumble half the feta and stir into the soup. Check the seasoning.
Sprinkle with the parsley and serve with the remaining feta and the ciabatta. Drizzle with more olive oil if you like.
Cook's note: A chunky soup with beans and feta that melts into the hot liquid.
This recipe first appeared in the May 2015 issue of TASTE Magazine.