- 2-3 t olive oil
- 1 onion medium, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 x 400 g Italian whole peeled tomatoes can
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 400 g broccoli
- 1-2 T fresh oregano chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500 g gnocchi, cooked according to package instructions
- 125 g Gorgonzola, crumbled
- Parmesan, grated, for sprinkling
Soften the onion in the olive oil, then stir in the garlic and the tomatoes. Crush using a potato masher and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the stock and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
Break the broccoli into florets and drop into boiling water. Simmer for 5 minutes until just tender. Drain well and add to the tomato sauce, along with the oregano and seasoning.
Gently mix the cooked gnocchi with the tomato sauce and crumbled Gorgonzola. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.
Cook’s note: Instead of Gorgonzola, use mozzarella and add some chopped anchovies to the simmering tomato sauce.
A comforting supper made with minimal fuss. Use ready-made gnocchi from Woolworths, or make your own gnocchi at home.