- For the curry:
- 2 T butter
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 x 70 g punnet Woolworths crushed garlic, ginger, chilli and turmeric
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 2 t cumin seeds
- 1 t ground coriander
- 2 t smoked chilli flakes
- 1 T cardamon pods
- 6 cloves
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1 kg Woolworths exotic whole tomatoes
- 1 x 400 g can Italian whole tomatoes
- 2⁄3 cup water (from the tomato can)
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- Mrs balls chutney, for serving
- For the coconut-hazelnut rice:
- 30 g butter or ghee, melted
- 400 g brown basmati rice, cooked
- 50 g hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 40 g coconut chunks, finely grated
To make the curry, heat the butter and olive oil in a pan and gently fry the onion over a medium to high heat until soft and golden.
Add the spices and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes over a medium to low heat, or until slightly reduced. Season to taste.
To make the rice, heat the butter or ghee in a pan until golden. Stir in the rice, hazelnuts and grated coconut. Serve with the tomato curry and chutney.
Cook's note: The tomato gravy used as a base for many curries is packed with flavour, making a tasty meal in its own right, that’s also great for your budget.