- 1.2 kg ripe red Roma tomatoes (about 12)
- 20 g basil leaves, plus extra for serving
- 8–10 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- spaghettini, cooked al dente, for serving
- pan-charred corn, torn coppa or shaved pecorino, for serving (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Rinse the tomatoes and cut out the cores. Choose a baking dish just large enough to take the tomatoes snugly and line with the basil leaves. Add the garlic and olive oil and season with salt.
2. Bake for 11⁄2 hours, or until the tomatoes are soft and starting to catch. Turn once or twice. As soon as they’re cool enough to handle, slip off the tomato skins. Season to taste.
3. To serve, spoon the tomatoes, oil and pan juices over the pasta. Discard the basil. Squeeze over the garlic and add a scattering of fresh basil leaves. If you like, top with pan- charred corn, coppa or shaved pecorino.