- 1 T butter
- 3 T olive oil
- 3 leeks, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 T tomato paste
- 8 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 x 390 g Italian chopped tomatoes can
- 2 cups chicken stock
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 white bread thick slices
- 240 g mature white Cheddar, sliced
In a saucepan, gently fry the leeks in the butter and oil over a medium heat until soft and golden. Add the garlic and bay leaves and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the tomato paste and ripe tomatoes and cook until soft. Add the remaining ingredients except the bread and cheese and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaves.
Pour the soup into a blender and blend until still slightly chunky.
Preheat the oven’s grill to its highest temperature. Place the bread onto a baking tray and top with the Cheddar slices. Grill until bubbling and golden. Serve with the soup.