- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 3–4 T Italian parsley chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 T olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 x 800 g Italian whole peeled tomatoes in tomato juice cans
- 625 ml chicken stock
- 500 g Woolworths readymade potato gnocchi
- 300 g Woolworths readymade beef frikkadels
- Italian parsley, chopped, for sprinkling
- Shaved Parmesan, for serving
Gently soften the vegetables, parsley and garlic in the olive oil. Season to taste. Add the tomatoes and mash roughly. Simmer fairly briskly for 5 to 10 minutes.
Add 2 cups chicken stock. Cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Blend and check the seasoning. Add the remaining stock and bring to a simmer.
Add the gnocchi, stirring with a large fork to separate the dumplings. Simmer for a few minutes until the dumplings rise to the surface. Add the frikkadels and heat through. Serve sprinkled with parsley and pass around the Parmesan at the table.
Cook’s note: Use vegetable stock and falafel for a vegetarian option.