Introducing the OG gluten-free cake! Torta Caprese al limone – or almond-lemon cake – is the easiest (and most delicious!) cake you’ll make this year. We used white chocolate instead of dark, and added sticky roasted strawberries to seal the deal.
- 200 g butter
- 200 g white chocolate
- 5 free-range eggs, separated
- 215 g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 355 g almond flour
- 200 g Woolworths FlavourburstTM strawberries
- crême fraîche, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Melt the butter and chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
2. Beat the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla until pale. Add the lemon zest and juice and mix.
3. Add the almond flour and chocolate mixture and mix well. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then fold into the mixture.
4. Pour into a 23 cm greased bundt cake tin. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the oven’s temperature to 150°C and bake for a further 55 minutes. Allow to cool in the tin.
5. To make the roasted strawberries, wash the strawberries and place in a pan. Sprinkle generously with caster sugar, add a squeeze of lemon juice. Roast in an oven at 180°C for 15 – 20 minutes.
6. Remove the cake from the tin. Serve with the crême fraîche and strawberries.
Cook’s note: Torta Caprese al limone is the original gluten-free cake. The tartness of lemon works well with the sweet white chocolate – you could also use orange and dark chocolate. The sticky roasted strawberries and crême fraîche are the magic final touch.