- 2 x 170 g tuna cans, drained
- 3 potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed
- 3 free-range eggs, beaten
- 3 T parsley chopped
- 1 t lemon zest
- sea salt and ground white pepper, to taste
- 2 cups sunflower oil
- 3 T flour
- 200 g panko crumbs or breadcrumbs
- lemon wedges, for serving
- For the tartare sauce, mix:
- 2 large gherkins, diced
- 8 capers
- ½ cup good-quality mayonnaise
- 2 T parsley chopped
- ½ lemon, juiced
1. Mix the tuna, potatoes, 1 beaten egg, parsley, lemon zest and seasoning. Shape into 4 large fish cakes.
2. Dip each one into the our, then into the remaining egg and coat with the panko crumbs or breadcrumbs. Chill for 30 minutes.
3. Heat the oil and deep-fry the fish cakes over a medium heat until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper and serve hot with the tartare sauce and lemon wedges. Season with salt.
Cook's note: If you like, use canned salmon instead of tuna. You can also use dried breadcrumbs instead of fresh.
Photograph: Andrea van der Spuy
Food assistant: Bianca Strydom