- For the dressing:
- 1/2 ginger thumb, finely chopped
- 4 garlic, cloves toasted
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 sayo sauce
- 1 T Worcester sauce
- 1 T sambal or chilli relish
- freshly ground black pepper
- 250 g tuna, skinned, boned and sashimi-sliced
- 100 g edamame beans
- 150 g silken tofu
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 40 g water chestnut, diced
- 1 mixed baby leaves, packet
- 30 g wakame or sea lettuce picked from a rock pool, sliced
To make the dressing, place a small pan over a medium to low heat and gently toast the ginger and garlic in a little of the olive oil until lightly golden and aromatic. Remove from the heat, then add the remaining ingredients and the rest of the oil to the pan. Swirl to combine for a few seconds before pouring into a bowl to cool slightly and infuse.
Prepare the tuna tartare and blanche the edamame beans. Slice the silken tofu into bite-sized cubes, then lightly toss all the ingredients together.
Carefully arrange on four separate plates and serve immediately with a good drizzle of the warm dressing. If you like, serve wafer-thin slices of toast on the side.
Cook’s note: Don’t burn or over-colour the garlic and ginger as it will become bitter and spoil the fragrant nuttiness of the dressing.