- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 fresh green chillies, seeded and chopped
- 1 T oregano
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 T ground coriander
- 1 T ground cumin
- ½ t ground allspice
- 1 T chilli powder (double if you like it very hot)
- 2 x 400 g cans tomatoes
- 50 g tomato paste
- 1 kg shredded roast turkey (or chicken)
- 2 x 400 g cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chicken stock
- salt, to taste
- coriander, for serving
- sour cream, for serving
- grated Cheddar, for serving
- For the avocado salsa:
- 4 avocados
- 1–2 limes, juiced
- ¼ cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 3–4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 fresh green chilli, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Ingredients aren't specified.
Heat the oil in a suitable saucepan.
Add the onions and cook very gently until softened. Grate in the garlic. Add a little more oil if needed. 2 Stir in the peppers and cook gently for about 5 minutes until softened. Stir in the chillies, herbs and spices. Mix in the crushed tomatoes with their juices and the tomato paste. Cover, reduce the heat and cook very gently, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Add some chicken stock if necessary.
Stir in the shredded turkey, beans and stock. Cover and simmer for a further 10–15 minutes, or until heated through. Season to taste.
To make the avocado salsa, scoop the avocado into a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and roughly mash with a fork.
Spoon the chilli into bowls and add a sprinkling of coriander. Serve with the avocado salsa, sour cream, cheese and warm cornbread.