After roasting many chickens for a Woolworths TV shoot, this method was the winner.
- 1.5 kg potatoes, peeled and halved
- olive oil, for drizzling
- butter, for roasting
- good-quality sea salt flakes, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Simmer the potatoes for 15 minutes until almost cooked – the tip of a knife should pierce but not break them up.
2. Drain, return to the saucepan and shake to roughen up the edges. They should be completely dry.
3. Place the potatoes in a deep, preheated roasting pan, drizzle with olive oil and add a few knobs of butter. Season with salt. Roast for 45–60 minutes, turning every 15 minutes to create a crust.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Food assistant: Ellen Schwerdtfeger