- 500 g Dry samp and sugar beans
- oil, for frying
- 500 g meat bones (I used lamb)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 t garlic, minced
- 1 t curry powder
- ½ t turmeric
- 1 t BBQ spice
- 1 tomato, grated
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- a sprig thyme
1. Place the samp and beans in a large pot and cover with cold water. Boil for 1 hour to soften.
2. Heat the oil a separate pot and brown the bones for about 10 minutes. Add the onion, garlic and spices and sauté for a few minutes.
3. Add the cooked samp and beans, tomato, potatoes and stock and simmer for a further hour. Add the bay leaf and thyme 30 minutes into the cooking time.
Cook's note: Umngqhusho is a much-loved traditional Xhosa dish. Made simply with samp and beans and flavoured with meat/bones/animal stock, it’s a delicious all-in-one meal that is both filling and comforting.