- 1 kg lean beef mince
- 1 thick slice bread soaked in 4 T milk
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 potato, washed and grated
- 1 carrot, washed and grated
- 2 free-range eggs
- 2 T Woolworths steak rub
- 10 g Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, zested
- ¼ cup vegetable oil, for frying
1. Smash all the ingredients except the oil together in a bowl and roll into oblong or round shapes, whichever you prefer.
2. Heat a pan and add the vegetable oil. Fry the meatballs in batches until brown and crispy. Serve immediately.
Cook's note: This recipe was passed down by word of mouth and I hope that if uNcinci sees this, she will be proud of how well I remembered it. My aunts coat the frikkadels in a bit of flour to prevent sticking but it’s not essential. It makes tremendously good burger patties.
Photograph: Toby Murphy