“This cake is a real treat, and the marzipan is super-easy to make.” – Hannah Lewry
- 2–3 ClemenGolds
- 2–3 T honey
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 1 t vanilla paste
- 225 g marzipan
- 200 g caster sugar
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 1 t baking powder
- 145 g flour
- ½ t salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a 30 x 20 cm cake tin with baking paper. Slice the ClemenGolds very thinly, skin and all, then caramelise in batches on both sides in a dry non-stick pan for 1–2 minutes, or until just catching. Arrange in the bottom of the baking tin in an even layer. Drizzle over the honey and set aside.
2. Whisk together the eggs and vanilla paste. Place the marzipan in a food processor and pulse to break it up, then add the sugar and blend again until it resembles the texture of fine sand, about 1–2 minutes.
3. Add the canola oil in a steady stream while the food processor is running. Once all the oil has been incorporated, add the egg mixture one spoonful at a time, blending after each addition.
4. Remove the bowl and blade from the machine, then fold in the dry ingredients in three batches, mixing gently between additions.
5. Spread over the ClemenGolds and bake for 40–45 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then carefully invert onto a serving platter and remove the paper.
Cook's note: Make the cake a day ahead and leave in the tin until ready to serve.
Photographs: Robbert Koene
Production: Hannah Lewry
Food assistant: Claire-Ellen Van Rooy