- 2 T olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 t garlic, minced
- 1 T curry powder
- 6 tomatoes, peeled and grated
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 t sugar
- 2 t basil, minced (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onion until translucent.
2. Add the garlic and curry powder and cook until the onion is soft. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes. Season to taste with the salt, pepper and sugar.
3. Cook for a further 20 minutes until reduced and thick, then stir in the herbs.
Cook's note: We call this tomato and onion sauce ‘gravy’. It’s the best accompaniment to pap and braai vleis.