“I like to use iceberg as it reminds me of growing up, when that was the only lettuce available, but you could also use Woolies’ Crunchita lettuce.” – Abigail Donnelly
- 2 iceberg lettuces, frozen
- 100 g pecorino, shaved, to garnish
- For the celery leaf pesto:
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 100 g celery leaves
- 15 g Italian parsley
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt, to taste
- For the pecan crunch:
- 100 g pecan nuts
- 120 g sugar
1. Slice the lettuce into wedges, then drizzle with the pesto, scatter over the pecan crunch and pecorino.
2. To make the pesto blend all ingredients except the salt. Season.
3. To make the pecan crunch, line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Melt the sugar in a saucepan until golden brown. Add the nuts, spoon onto the tray and allow to set. When set, break into pieces.
Cook's note: Keep the pecorino shavings on a tray in the freezer so that they don’t collapse in the summer heat. Instead of making the pecan crunch, sprinkle Woolies’ peanut brittle over the salad.
Photographs: Jan Ras
Food assistants: Emma Nkunzana and Nicola Naude