“One of the first dishes I ever made on the braai was this mussel pot. I remember my parents giving me a lesson in cleaning mussels, as well as how to use the shells as a little mussel extractor and spoon.”
- 2 x 500 g packs Woolworths frozen mussels with garlic- and-herb butter, thawed
- 3 T extra virgin olive oil
- 200 g baby leeks, cut into thick rounds and washed
- 200 g Woolworths hot-smoked snoek, flaked and bones removed
- ½ cup water
- roosterkoek or ciabatta, for serving
1. Bring the mussels to room temperature.
2. Add the oil, leeks and snoek to a potjie over medium coals. Once the leeks have softened, add the mussels and garlic butter included in the pack, gently stir through and cover with a lid. The mussels take less than 10 minutes to cook.
3. When the flesh is soft and plump, remove the pot from the coals and serve directly on the table, resting the potjie on a wooden board. Serve with roosterkoek or ciabatta to soak up the sauce.
Photograph: Jan Ras
Production: Emma Nkunzana
Recipes: Clement Pedro