- 1 x 3 kg yellowtail
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lemon and lime wedges, for serving
- For the chipotle mayonnaise:
- 4 chipotle peppers, soaked in water
- 2 cups good-quality mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- For the red onion pickle:
- 2 cups red wine vinegar
- 1 T sugar
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
Season the inside and skin of the yellowtail. Wrap the fish in 3 layers of newspaper and secure with butcher’s twine.
Submerge the fish in water for 5 minutes.
Place the wrapped fish over medium coals and cook on each side for 30 minutes. Gently press the flesh to ensure it’s cooked through.
To make the chipotle mayonnaise, finely chop the chipotle peppers and mix with the mayonnaise, garlic and lemon juice.
To make the red onion pickle, heat the red wine vinegar and sugar over a medium heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Add the onion and remove from the heat. Allow the onions to cool in the mixture.
Serve the fish with the chipotle mayonnaise, red onion pickle and lemon and lime wedges.