- 1.3 kg free-range whole chicken
- 1 x 5 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 head garlic
- 2 lemons, halved
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 small red onions, quartered
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- 3 - 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 of each Woolworths garlic, ginger, lemongrass and chilli cubes
- 1 T coriander seeds
- 1.5 litres water
- 200 g Woolworths brown and wild rice
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- chilli oil, for serving
- fresh lemon, for serving
- Woolworths crispy onion sprinkle, for serving
- Italian parsley, chopped, for serving
1. Stuff the chicken with the ginger, garlic and 1⁄2 lemon. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and cook the onions, fennel, carrots and crushed garlic, ginger, chilli, lemongrass and coriander seeds
for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
2. Add the chicken and remaining lemons. Cover with water until the chicken is almost submerged. Add the rice and cover with a lid. Simmer for 1 hour, or until the chicken and rice are cooked. Set aside in the saucepan for 30 minutes.
3. Carefully remove the chicken from the saucepan and shred the flesh, discarding the skin and bones. Return the meat to the rice broth. Season to taste.
4. Ladle into bowls, drizzle with the chilli oil, squeeze over the lemon and top with the onion sprinkles and parsley.