- For the crust
- 110 g packet cheese biscuits, crushed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- For the tart filling
- 250 g smoked snoek, flaked and fish bones and skin discarded
- 2 x 250 g tubs smooth cottage cheese
- 2 Free range large eggs
- 2 T Smash
- 2 onions, chopped and sautéed
- 2 T Dash of cayenne pepper lemon juice
- 1/2 t sugar
- 2 cups strong cheddar, grated
- Vine tomatoes, for serving
Preheat oven to 190'C.
Crush biscuits, mix with melted butter and pat down in 30 cm round pie dish. (or 35cm x 15cm rectangle dish/tartcase)
Mix all the tart filling ingredients, reserving 1 cup of the cheese. Sprinkle reserved cheese on top and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until firm and golden brown on top.
Serve warm with blistered vine tomatoes
Cook's note: This dish is my mom's party trick from the 80s. She made it when she first met my then-future husband's parents and for my kitchen tea, to name but a few occasions. People always ask her for the recipe once they've tried it. – Annette Klinger
This recipe is part of TASTE's "Mother Knows Best" feature (May 2016), where the TASTE team convinced their mothers to share their secret recipes.
What is your mother's famous dish? Upload it to your profile on TASTE here.