“Discovering xigugu has been one of the most exciting encounters I’ve had with southern African ingredients. I took a page out of producer Praising Mabunda’s book and made this slow-and-steady chicken with little more than xigugu, coconut milk and salt. It's hard to replace xigugu, but peanut butter delivers a similar flavour.”
- 100 g xigugu or peanut butter
- 400 ml can coconut milk, shaken
- 4 T canola oil
- 2 T Woolworths hot seasoning
- 1 whole free-range chicken
1. Combine the xigugu, coconut milk, oil and seasoning and coat the chicken in the mixture.
2. Place in an ovenproof dish, cover and chill for an hour. Preheat the oven to 160°C. Place the chicken in the oven and cook for an hour, turning once. Halfway through cooking, baste the chicken with the pan juices. Once fully cooked, increase the heat to 200°C and grill until the chicken is golden brown. Serve hot.
Photograph: Toby Murphy
Production: Khanya Mzongwana
Food assistant: Estee Skein