- 2.4 kg free-range leg of lamb, deboned (with the top of the leg bone still intact)
- 1 kg Woolworths Ayrshire plain double-cream yoghurt
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 t sumac
- 2 lemons, zested
- 2 t smoked chilli flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 200 g baby spinach, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 T butter
Preheat the oven to 160°C. Combine all the ingredients, except the baby spinach and butter, and rub all over the leg of lamb until well coated. Marinate for 1 hour or more. Stuff the spinach inside the leg of lamb, roll up and secure with string.
Place the lamb onto a baking tray and roast for 5–6 hours, or until golden and tender, basting with the oil from the pan and occasionally adding butter to the surface of the meat.
Cook's note: The longer you leave the lamb in the yoghurt marinade, the tenderer it’ll be. You’ll praise the gods for this classic Hellenic pairing.