- 2 large brinjals
- 3 large tomatoes, washed
- 4 T olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 t Woolworths roasted garlic paste
- 150 g fettucine, cooked
- 80 g kalamata olives, pitted
- basil, for serving
1 Roast the brinjals and tomatoes over an open flame until the skins are blackened. Allow to cool slightly, then peel.
2 Roughly chop the brinjals together and place in a large bowl. Stir in the olive oil, seasoning, onion and roasted garlic paste.
3. Toss the zaalouk through the cooked pasta and serve with the olives and fresh basil.
Photograph: Jan Ras