This recipe is inspired by one from Mama Dorah’s final recipe book. She used hake and calamari rings, which we’ve replaced with mussels. We've also added white wine and lemon instead of the spices.
- 300 g samp
- 1 litre water
- 2 T oil
- 2 T butter
- 1 t garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 100 g mushrooms, sliced
- 12 medium prawns, cleaned and peeled
- 1 cup white wine
- 12 mussels
- 3 T lemon pepper
- 2 T parsley, finely chopped
1. Cook the samp in salted water until soft, about 2 hours.
2. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the prawns for 5 minutes, then set aside.
3. Add the butter to the same pan and fry the onion and garlic. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft.
4. Pour in the wine to deglaze the pan. Add the mussels and lemon pepper. Cook until the mussels open. Add the samp and mix well. Garnish with parsley.
Photographs: Sadiqah Assur-Ismail
Production: Bianca Strydom
Food Assistant: Ellah Maepan