Looking for the ultimate vegan light meal. We present Vegan "fish"cakes made with Loma Linda Tuno, a plant-based seafood alternative,
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 50 g red onion, chopped
- 50 g oats
- 30 g walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- 1 T soya sauce
- 1 x 400 g butter beans, can, drained and rinsed
- Woolworths Loma Linda Tuno, drained
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 40 g chickpea flour
- ½ cup oil
- rocket, to garnish
1. Process the garlic and onion in a food processor until fine. Add the oats, walnuts, vinegar and soya sauce. Process until the texture of breadcrumbs.
2. Add the beans and process until almost smooth. Turn the thick paste into a bowl, then stir in the Tuno. Season and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
3. Coat large spoonfuls in the chickpea flour, flattening to form cakes. Fry on both sides in shallow medium-hot oil until brown, firm and heated through – a few minutes a side. Garnish with rocket.
Cook's note: Woolies’ plant-based seafood alternative, available in cans, works well in these cakes.
Photograph: Toby Murphy
Production: Brita Du Plessis
Food Assistant: Thandiwe Mamacos