- 3 T olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 250 g free-range chicken livers
- ¼ cup brandy
- ½ cup cream
- salt, to taste
- white pepper to taste
- 50 g clarified butter , for topping*
- bread or Melba toast, for serving
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat, then add the shallots, garlic and thyme. Cook for 10 minutes, or until soft.
2. Increase the heat and fry the chicken livers for 5 minutes, then deglaze* the pan with the brandy and cook for a further 5–7 minutes, or until the chicken livers are tender.
3. Reduce the heat, then add the cream and season. Bring to a boil, then pour the mixture into a blender and blend until smooth.
4. Pour into small bowls or ramekins, top with the butter and allow to cool until set, this should take a few hours. Serve with crispy bread or Melba toast.
Photograph: Myburgh Du Plessis
Food assistants: Bianca Strydom, Jarryd Thesen, Mogau Seshoene