- 500–550 g pumpkin or butternut
- 1 free-range egg
- 120 g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1⁄3 t salt
- 2 t baking powder
- 3 T brown sugar
- 2 T coconut oil
- sugar, for sprinkling
- ground cinnamon, for sprinkling
1. Boil the pumpkin until soft, then drain, removing all water. Blend the pumpkin with the egg, incorporating well.
2. Add the dry ingredients, and whisk to combine. Allow the batter to stand for 10 minutes.
3. Heat the coconut oil in a pan and fry 1 T batter at a time.
4. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
Cook's note: I make these every year for Ramadan to break our fast at night.
Photographs: Sadiqah Assur-Ismail
Production: Jacqueline Burgess